Saturday night dinner following a morning at our stall at the Barossa Farmers Market is crafted on what we bought at the market! Sometimes it's venison, sometimes it's fish, sometimes it is all about vegetables.
This week we got some fabulous beetroot from KR Produce, and with some spinach, parsley and thyme out our garden, risotto was calling to us. We cook risotto in the pressure cooker, but you could cook it open on the stove top if you prefer.
We paired it with a great 2018 Merlot from Taylor’s.
Here's the recipe:
[download an A4 pdf]
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 tablespoons Tathra Homestead extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
8 small beetroot – previously diced and roasted until tender with thyme, salt, pepper, EVOO
2 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 L vegetable stock – hot
1/2 cup red wine
2 cups spinach, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, and extra for garnish
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup parsley, chopped, for garnish
1. Saute onion and garlic in EVOO over a medium heat in the pressure cooker.
2. Add rice and toast for 1 minute. Stir to coat with EVOO.
3. Stir in beetroot.
3. Add stock and wine. Stir to combine. Raise heat to high. Close and lock lid. Once at pressure, lower heat to low. Cook for 8 minutes.
4. Reduce pressure of pressure cooker and place pot under cool running water. Open lid.
5. Stir through spinach, thyme and parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Serve in bowls and garnish with parsley and parmesan.
Enjoy with a glass of red that you included in the cooking - remember, you should only cook with wine that you would definitely drink! Cheers!